Gitanjali Dances: Five Joys (19’)
for Flute and Piano
‘Let all the strains of joy mingle in my last song’ - Rabindranath Tagore
1. ‘The joy that sweeps in with the tempest, shaking and waking all life with laughter’
2. ‘Evening... carrying cool drafts of peace in her golden pitcher from the western ocean of rest’
3. ‘The joy that sets the twin brothers, life and death, dancing over the wide world’
4. ‘This little flute of a reed thou hast carried over hills and dales, and hast breathed through it melodies eternally new.’
5. ‘Thy centuries follow each other perfecting a small white flower.’
Joanna Bassett, Flute
Grasshopper Dances (10’)
for Alto Saxophone, Clarinet or Marimba and String Orchestra or Quartet
1. Fiddle Legs
3. Bug Eyes Boogie
Cello Sonata (20')
Bulgarian Dance Suite (11')
for Flute, Viola and Guitar
I Trugnala Rumjana
III Jovano, Jovanke
Glennda Dove, Joanne Lowe, John Wiesenthal
Libro del Dolor (15')
for Piano Trio
in memory of los desaparecidos, 'the disappeared ones'
II Dance of Accusation
III The Verdict
IV Against the Sea of Forgetfulness
Bryan and Molly Dumm, Sylvia Wang
Variations on a French Noel (3')
for English Horn, Bassoon and Piano
Dancing on the Edge (19')
for Flute, Viola and Harp
I Dancing on the Edge
II Free Fall
Bonita Boyd, Virginia Lenz, Mary Emily Mitchell
Music From a Farther Room on images from T.S. Eliot (25')
for Flute, Violin, Clarinet, Cello, Piano
I "after the kingfisher's wing has answered light to light, and is silent"
Cello cadenza: "old stones that cannot be deciphered"
II"music half-heard, in the stillness between two waves of the sea"
III "quick now, here now, always"
IV "the wave cry, the wind cry, the vast waters of the petrel and the porpoise"
V"till the wind shake a thousand whispers from the yew tree"
for 2 Flutes and Percussion
for Cello Quartet
Bulgarian Dance Suite (7’)
The Ashgrove (4’)
The Lark in the Clear Air (3')
for Harp Duo
Wild Mountain Thyme (5') Concert Duo for 2 Harps
Down By the Salley Gardens (2.5')
Flute, Harp and Dulcimer